new posts

Blogger Tips and TricksLatest Tips And TricksBlogger Tricks

Thursday, February 07, 2008

Conspiracy Theory #301 - Bedtime Resistance

Anyone who has kids knows that you need major reinforcements (or a rubber mallet?) to get them down for a nap - and my girls are definately no exception.

There's the standard "I have to go potty," every 5 seconds; the "I'm thirsty;" and the "Read me the story again," even when you've read it so many times you're sure they should have it memorized by now. Recently however, my girls have resorted to a dirtier tactic - the sobbing "I want a hug and kiss, Momma," even though I've not only hugged and kissed them, but also tucked them in - 20 times.

My oldest daughter was so distraught yesterday over nap time that she sent her sister into the hallway repeatedly, just so I'd have to chase her back into her room, tuck her back in, and be assaulted by my oldest daughter's pitiful, strangely hilarious weeping kissy face. I really wish I had taken a picture, because there is no possible way for me to accurately describe the face she was making.

Picture a cross between Marylin Monroe's trademark pouty kiss and a blowfish, all wrapped up in a very upset, red-faced, blond haired, blue eyed 5 year old - and you might have a slight idea.

Of course, as painful as it was, I still had to remain straight-faced and steadfast with her that it was nap time and there was going to be no more using her sister as a decoy or pulling of heart strings to get her way.

This only resulted in an even poutier kissy face.

I was brave, I held my ground, tucked her in, told her I loved her, and walked away... and burst into laughter as soon as I hit the hallway.

...and this, my friends, is why parents have the best poker faces of anyone on Earth. If you don't have kids yet, practice now - because trust me, you're going to need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Recent Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...